Looking for an author similar to John Grisham? Just finished The Hunger Games and looking for another great series? In the mood for a light and humourous read? NoveList Plus can help!
Free to access with your library card, Novelist Plus provides:
- Expert reading read-alike recommendations for book titles, authors, and series. Fiction, non-fiction, and audiobooks recommendations are available for all ages.
- Reading suggestions based on genre, theme, plot, or writing style
- Professional reviews and reviews from readers
- Series information
- Discussion guides
- Curated booklists and articles on popular and current topics
Need a Library card? Apply for a virtual membership now!
- Open your internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari etc…) Note: NoveList is accessible from any computer, tablet, or phone with an internet browser. There is currently no mobile app for this resource.
- Head to the research section of the website. Find NoveList in the alphabetical list of resources or choose “Literature and Reading” from the Category Search on the right-hand side of the page.
- Log in using your library card number.
- Search for your favourite author, title, series, or genre.
- Optional: Create an account to save lists, titles, articles and more.
Searching for read-alikes:
- Search for a favourite book, series, or author.
- Choose to refine your results by clicking on the “books,” “audiobooks,” “series,” “authors” or “lists and articles” tab of the search results.
- Click on the book, title, or series you were looking for. Each entry on NoveList provides a list of read-alikes on the right-hand side of the page. If viewing a book the read-alikes will show similar books, an author page will show author read-alikes, and a series page will show series read-alikes.
- At the bottom of the page is a list of descriptors or “appeal factors” for the book, author, or series. Select the appeal factors you would like to have in your next read. Click search to see other books with the selected appeal factors. Tip: If your search is not returning many results, try searching for fewer appeal factors or trying different combinations.
Recommended Reads Lists:
NoveList provides curated book lists for popular genres, themes, and topics. These can be found on the left-hand side of the site. Choose “Fiction” or ‘Nonfiction” and your age range. Lists include genres such as “romance,” “mystery,” and “thrillers.” You can also find book lists for fans of popular book series, tv shows, or movie franchises under the “For Fans Of…” heading.
Articles and Lists:
- Search for your subject or topic. Ex. Search for “COVID-19” or “Books to Movies”
- Select the “articles and lists” tab along the top of the search results
- Browse search results for a variety of articles and recommended reads lists
Find Award Winners:
Quickly access lists of past award winners. Do a “keyword” search for the name of the award you are looking for. Some of the award lists available include the Caldecott Medal, the Man Booker Prize, the Newbery Medal, the New York Times Notable Books, the Scotiabank Giller Prize, and more.